I used to get upset at a lot of things. Now when I’m confronted by these same things, I feel the overwhelming urge to lie down and take a nap.
Here’s a list of the people and things that make me really tired (note that this is 98% in jest and not to be taken too seriously):
- People who won’t speak to you or acknowledge you even when you’re literally sitting right next to them. Is it that hard?
- Every piece of electronic equipment that seems to slow down when you’re trying to get through the end of the day.
- People who are super impatient and hyper-aggressive drivers that will cut in front of fifteen cars to arrive at their destinations a whopping thirty seconds earlier.
- People who still think that spiritual problems have political answers, even after twenty plus years of evidence to the contrary.
- People who make lists about people who get on their nerves.
- People who are unkind and/or neglectful to animals or children (or other grown people). Kindness literally costs nothing and benefits you greatly, at least a lot more than jerkiness does.
- Being up since 5:25 am, which is totally unnatural, unbiblical, and unethical (in my opinion),
Quite honestly, I make my own self tired a lot. I catch myself doing and saying stupid stuff a la Joey Tribbiani. I catch myself thinking judgmentally toward others when I would expect grace if I were in their shoes.
I think my guardian angel looks at me a lot and shakes his head and face-palms over me on a daily basis. I think I even drive him to drink alcoholic beverages (which is probably frowned upon in heaven).
I know that God looks at me and sees none of the royal mess-ups I make or my daily screw-ups but instead sees the perfection of His Son Jesus. He looks at me more completely and perfectly than anyone else (including me looking at myself in a mirror) and is pleased.
And that, my friends, is the only opinion that matters.