FYI: these blogs will continue until I get to 1,000 things I love. It’s from the book, One Thousand Gifts, so I’m trying to list out– wait for it– 1,000 little things that I believe are God’s gifts to me and daily reminders that stir me to gratitude and thanksgiving as a lifestyle. Plus, I don’t have to worry about what I will be blogging on until at least July of 2014. Just kidding. Sort of.
Ok. Here goes the list, starting at #168. Drum roll, please.
168) Looking through old photo albums and reliving those old memories and remembering people who’ve been gone from my life for a while (and thinking they’re looking down from heaven and smiling at those photos, too).
169) My extremely loud Hawaiian shirt, which one random teenager called “sick.” I guess that’s a compliment. I’m not really sure.
170) Everything related to either Narnia and Wardrobes or Middle Earth and Hobbits.
171) Surprise birthday parties (hint, hint, subtle subliminal suggestion. . . cough).
172) Celebrating Easter and remembering that the Resurrection changed EVERYTHING. Including me.
173) That Jesus would have chosen the nails and the cross and the agony if only for me alone.
174) By Jesus loving me unconditionally and prodigally, he made me loveable.
175) Silent movies.
176) Box hockey (and the fact that I know what box hockey is).
177) All my high school reunions where I see old friends and get to catch up after 10 (or 20) years apart.
178) That I get to be a small part of Kairos, a worship gathering for young adults, every week and I see God at work there every single week.
179) Being content in my relationships and not obsessively wondering where they might or might not be headed,
180) Knowing that if the absolute worst case scenario should happen, I would still be loved by Jesus and God would still work even that out for my good and his glory.
181) How randomly my brain works these days.
182) The vast array of autumn colors from the leaves changing and falling.
183) Doing small random acts of kindness for people when they least expect it.
184) Any positive news stories (because they are sadly the exception and not the rule).
185) That I’m down to 715 more things to be thankful for.
186) Now it’s only 714.
187) That I’m not what everyone else thinks I am or even what I think of myself, but only what Jesus says I am– Chosen, Redeemed, Beloved, Child of God, Forgiven, Free, etc.
188) That Jesus won’t ever stop reminding me of my true identity and sending friends who will help me remember the song in my heart when I forget the words.
189) Lightning bugs at night in an open field.
190) Cheese grits made just right.
191) That I probably have at least 32 more of these blogs a-comin’ your way. But not in a row.